The creation of the building
The Church of San Bevignate was built on the site of an ancient “fullonica” (laundry) of Roman Age, whose ruins, under the flooring, are also visitable. In the surrounding area, since 1243, the Templars owned a little church dedicated to San Gerolamo. The Abbey of San Giustino de Arno, San Gerolamo and the complex of San Bevignate constituted actually a single “precettoria” (preceptory).
The Church was founded in 1256 on a proposal of the influential Templar friar Bonvicino, born in Assisi and cubicolarius (close collaborator) of four Popes. It was built in accordance with the Bishop and the Municipality of Perugia, and was dedicated to San Bevignate.